There are two (2) types of marriages that the district assembly undertake which are;
- Registration of customary marriage
- Assist in registration of ordinance marriage
PROCEDURES FOR CUSTOMARY MARRIAGE
- Both family’s needs to come together and agree to the marriage that will be done at home.
- After the marriage is done at the house, both the husband and the wife will come to the office to provide the following information for the marriage certificate to be issued to them.
- Name of Husband
- Date and Place of marriage
- Husband’s occupation
- House number
- Telephone Number
- Photocopy of a valid ID card
The wife will also provide the same information as provided by the husband and the principal witnesses are the parents of both families.
PROCEDURES FOR ORDINANCE MARRIAGE
- The couples come to the office to take authority to file barns of marriage. This is for a duration of 21 days.
- The pastor writes to the office that there was no objection after the 21 days of publication.
- The office issues a certificate authorizing the couple to proceed with their marriage at a specific date and place.
- After the marriage is done, the couple submit a copy of their marriage certificate issued by the church to the office.
Am amount of GHC 30.00 is paid to the office for the registration and issuance of certificate.
PROCEDURES FOR DIVORCE OF CUSTOMARY MARRIAGE
- The couples with their witnesses will bring their certificate and report their reasons for the divorce of marriage.
- The couples will fill a form at the office titled “Dissolution of Customary Marriage” with the following information;
- Place of residence of the couples
- Place of dissolution of marriage
- Date of dissolution of marriage
- The forms will be submitted to court for final dissolution of marriage.